For a Europe that cares for all – during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond
The COVID-19 pandemic is demonstrating all too well that unequal societies go hand-in-hand with human suffering, fragile economies and delicate democracies.
Solidarity must be the bedrock of Europe’s response to this crisis: to fighting the pandemic and protecting all people, to managing the social and economic consequences, and to defending democracy. Solidarity goes beyond borders and should not be limited to European Union countries. This is more than a public health crisis; it is a systems crisis. Like the climate crisis, and the many other crises we face, it affects everyone but hits some harder than others. The COVID-19 pandemic magnifies the inequalities in our societies.
Civil society groups - among them NFI - call for a Europe that cares for all – during the COVID19 crisis and beyond.
The EU must now take action to:
- guarantee any coronavirus vaccine is affordable and accessible to all
- ensure the use of digital technologies during the crisis is lawful, ethical, and temporary
- end austerity – tackle inequality, protect our environment and promote wellbeing
- protect workers, especially caregivers and frontline workers, and support people’s income
- create a truly transformative European Green Deal
- provide support and solidarity to people in the global South
- safeguard fundamental rights and rule of law